Saturday, April 21, 2012

So how is a romantic peom simular to a Idiot Savant? you and I are about to find out.

Romantic poetry is a pain. To clarify it is not romantic as in poetry expressing love, it is genre of poetry that is written so that it doesn't make sense. Well I can not really say that because it must have made sense to the writer unless he happened to be really intoxicated at the time and when he finally sobered up and read what he had written hit immediately found a good stubborn mule and yanked on its tail so it would kick him in the head. Now that last sentence is a good example of a terrible run-on. Though I don't feel to bad because grammar doesn't apply to poets. I try not to judge all Romantic poets for I am sure there was good intentions behind there poetry. Though take the poem Xanadu, (not the Rush song) it was some fellers dream and he decided that it would be a good idea to write it down. From personal experience if I decided to dictate my dreams in to poetry, incoherence wouldn't begin to express the nonsense what would flow from my pen (poetically speaking). Maybe he is a intelligent dreamer, so I guess I must be a idiot savant dreamer, only without the savant part. So what I do understand from poetry is that it usually is some emotionally distress manic depressed or liberal wimp (no offense to liberals) expressing his feelings by ignoring grammar rules and rhyming words with no thought to whether they make sense. Then to top things off somebody though it would be beneficial to make this poetry part of a literature course. Which means I, and any one else taking literature must interpret this poems and look for elements such as alliteration, personification, similes, and my favorite Metaphors. Can any one guess what's metaphor, its really simple most Meadows I have been in are used to graze cows. Speaking of cows my favorite poem is actually about purple cows, but I won't go into that because purple cows remind me of Chateaubriand, with rhymes with idiot savant. Which all goes back to the fact that poetry doesn't need to make sense as long as it rhymes. I am really disappointed when I come across a poem that neither rhymes nor makes sense. So maybe if I ever have the time I will make a poem using idiot savant and Chateaubriand. It will be a epic poem that tells a story that is set in the French city of Clermont-Ferrand, WHICH ALSO RHYMES WHICH IDIOT SAVANT AND CHATEAUBRIAND (I bet you would have never guessed, I really mean that because no one can pronounce them). Chateaubriand is some kind of steak that is some sort of delicacy that is over priced because it has a french name and rhymes with Clermont- Ferrand. I so if I ever go to a restaurant that serves Chateaubriand, I will ask for some strawberry preserve with my hors d'oeuvre. I will probably get kicked out of the restaurant. All because I hated the romantic peotry unit in my literature course.

2 comments:

  1. I must agre that poems from the romantic period are annoying. We had to read a bunch of them for a liturature class:P
    You just brightened my day with your stupid ramblings.
    Thank you!
    -Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand poetry period. Romantic or not.

    ReplyDelete